UK is one of the most dynamic study destinations in the world. Top class teaching facilities at some of the most renowned universities in the world make UK ideal to gain an undergrad or post grad degree. About 10 – 30% of students at UK Universities are international students. You would get a chance to meet and interact with students from European countries as well as other countries from around the world.
With an excellent higher-education system and hundreds of world-class universities, the UK promises a rich experience for international students. Our Study UK resource is intended to help you learn more about studying in the UK as an international student, and includes sections on choosing the UK as a destination, choosing a location within the UK, learning more about the country, its history and culture, and adapting to life in your adopted country.
England is quite a unique place on earth that offers a rich multicultural atmosphere. It is home to some of the oldest and most prestigious universities of the world with sprawling campuses, excellent infrastructure and standards of teaching that makes you ready for a successful career ahead.
- Capital – London
- Population: 63.23 million
- GDP: $2.435 trillion
- Number of universities: 109
- Foreign Student Enrolment 2012/2013: 425,260
- Currency: Pound Sterling (GBP)
- Official Languages: English
Top reasons for selecting UK
- World renowned institutes
- Easy Visa rules for international students
- Shorter duration courses as compared to other destinations – Bachelor programs are usually for 3 years and master’s programs are for 1 year
- Diverse range of courses with wide range of specializations
- Sandwich bachelors with 1 year Industry placement
- No permission required from the job center for International students studying at UK institutions to undertake spare time or vacation work
- Free health insurance for students studying in UK for six months or more
- Hand on approach to teaching, innovative teaching methodologies
- Cost effective and student friendly country
- Scholarship and funding option
UK EDUCATION SYSTEM
The higher education imparting bodies in the UK are
- Institutions of higher education.
- Degree courses
- Vocational training
- Postgraduate courses.
- Sandwich courses whereby part-time work and real experience is combined between the course duration.
- First degree courses of 3-4 years duration.
- Diplomas and vocational courses of 1-2 years with the Vocational and Technical Education Councils conferring the degree certificate.
- Postgraduate study may be in one of two forms – either as a work of independent research under supervision or a taught course of one or two year’s duration.
- IELTS or TOEFL scores or any equivalent as a proof of English Proficiency
- Diploma programs: Overall band score of 5.0
- Bachelor’s Degree: Overall band score of 6.0
- Masters Programs: Overall band score of 6.0 – 6.5
- January /February/September/November
COST OF EDUCATION
- An average of 7500 pounds per year*
*Fees information given are of informative nature may vary from university to university
COST OF LIVING
- 11385 GBP (Inner London – 9 months)
- 9135 GBP (Outer London – 9 months)
WORK RIGHTS AND STAY BACK
- 20 hours per week ( 40 hours during vacation )full time work rights for spouses for Masters programme
- Post study work permit for students who secure a job offer with salary of 20,600GBP
- 1-4 Months visa extension